What we bought
Aldi shopping trip
- Sour cream (16 oz) - 1.29
- Seedless grapes (2 lb) - two boxes at 1.98
- Raspberry preserves - 2.29
- Roma tomatoes, 20 oz. - 1.29
- Bing cherries, 1 lb - 1.99
- Flour tortillas, 10 count - 2 packages at 0.99
- TOTAL - $12.40
Fareway shopping trip
Peanut butter was on sale yet again this week, so we stocked up on a few more jars. Haven't seen it lower than $1.99 for over a year, and we do go through quite a bit of it. Hard to know how much to stretch the budget for stock-up items like this, but it does keep really well and we have enough now to last us quite a while.
- Fresh spinach, 9 oz. - 4 bags at 0.99 (sale)
- Peanut butter, 16 oz. - 5 jars at 1.48 (sale)
- Orange juice, 64 oz. - 0.99 (sale)
- Fresh peaches, 5.34 lb at 0.78/lb - 4.17
- Multi-grain sandwich bread - two loaves, marked down to 0.79/loaf
- TOTAL - $22.54
Hy-vee shopping trip
- Vanilla ice cream, 1 quart - 1.77 - we used to get this only when it was on sale for 0.99, but I haven't seen it that low since sometime last winter. Finally went ahead and got some with this sale to make root beer floats as a spontaneous treat. :)
- TOTAL - $1.77
Dollar General shopping trip
- A&W Root beer, 1 liter plus deposit - 1.45 - Not the cheapest price out there, I'm sure, but it was a rare treat. Summertime isn't complete without root beer floats. :)
- TOTAL - $1.45
These vegetable prices were way too good to pass up! We're grateful for the way Aldi allows us to eat a lot more produce than we could afford otherwise, and most of it is great quality, too.
- Sweet corn, 4 ears - 2 packages at 0.99
- Green peppers, pack of 3 - 2 packages at 0.99
- Snow Peas - 1.49
- Zucchini, pack of 3 - 0.99
- Onions, 3 lb - 0.99
- Penne pasta - 0.99 - We had other pasta on hand but needed to make a specific Penne recipe for a church meal and Joe's a stickler for following recipes exactly. ;)
- Yogurt, 32 oz - 1.99
- Milk, 1 gallon - 3.09 - Joe wanted to start making smoothies again, and my family doesn't have a ton of extra goat milk right now.
- Powdered sugar, 2 lb - 1.29 - To make a dessert to take to church.
- TOTAL - $16.28
Fareway shopping trip #2 (later in the week, with new sales)
- Cottage cheese, 32 oz - 3 at 1.69 - this is pretty much the cheapest it ever goes on sale for any more. I miss the days of the 0.99 sales!
- Coffee-flavored chocolate spread - 2 jars, marked down to 0.99 - a treat for Joe :)
- Romaine lettuce - 1 head at 1.29
- Bartlett pears - 0.99 lb at 0.99/lb (two) - 0.98 - these are for Lukas to try...
- Grape tomatoes, 1 pint - 1.49 - I kicked myself for getting these, as I found them slightly cheaper at Fareway. Oh, well.
- Lemonade, half gallon - 0.99 (sale)
- White sugar, 4 lb - 3 bags at 1.68 (sale)
- TOTAL - $16.85
WEEKLY TOTAL - $71.29 - saved $0 with coupons (saved quite a bit with sales, though!)
|Some patriotic-looking strawberry shortcake from a few weeks ago. :)|
What We Ate
- Sunday: Buffalo chicken mac & cheese (one of Joe's specialties), and veggies. For supper, we went to a church potluck/picnic and took a second pan of the mac & cheese. Later that evening, root beer floats. :)
- Monday: Sandwiches (cheese, tomato, sandwich meat from the freezer), fruit
- Tuesday: Spaghetti pie, garlic toast, green salad
- Wednesday: Beans (cooked from scratch and frozen) with BBQ sauce, cornbread, fruit salad
- Thursday: Pizza Hut (with a coupon and birthday-freebie breadsticks), leftover fruit salad
- Friday: Tammy's Oriental Chicken Salad
- Saturday: Grilled veggies and brats, with homemade whole wheat and rye buns
- Breakfasts: Peaches, homemade yogurt, banana bread